Friday, February 13, 2009

Here's to Hope

Well, my buddy Todd asked me to contribute to The Perfect Game. And, although that is exciting, you should know something first... I never played baseball! But, before you pass judgment, I have taken my share of pitches from Todd's sidearm. And when I say taken pitches, I don't always mean in my glove.

If there were a scale of baseball genius (and there is somewhere I'm sure), then Todd would be on the level of future GM for the Royals or analyst for ESPN and I would be the guy who just enjoys a sunny day at Wrigley Field with a soda and brat by my side, being up in the 9th, and listening to the Harry Caray impersonator sing during the 7th inning stretch. So, your average Cubs fan: hopeful, but not holding my breath, well, unless they go to the playoffs. Then maybe for a game or two. At which point I start thinking about next year.

Last year was a great year for me, until October 4th. That is when the Dodgers swept the Cubs in the first round of the playoffs. It was supposed to be our year, 100 years since the last World Series Ring, the second best record in MLB for 2008, great power hitters and finally a pretty darn good (more importantly healthy) bullpen.

Todd had even given some encouragement on the phone. As my baseball psychologist, every northsider needs one, he had assured me that they were a good team. He did however have his doubts which ultimately proved true.

So, this year brings fresh hope. And, after spring training I'm sure Todd will look into his crystal ball and give me more hope. But if he won't, than someone else will. After all, you thought last year was a great story, 100 years since a World Series Title. How about this year?

101


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.