Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breaking Down the Interview, Part 2

Picking up where we left off...

PG: How do you go about making people believe you?

AR: (to sum it up, he says look at what I did before Texas, look at what I've done since then, and watch and see what I do in the future)

Me: The proof is always in the pudding. Problem here is, people have become inherently skeptical of great players. And when you fail a drug test, it only add to that skepticism. So what else have you got for me?

AR: ...you realize that honesty is the only way...

Me: So Mom was right?

AR: ...I'm pretty tired of being stupid, and selfish...

Me: And we're tired of stupid, selfish athletes acting stupidly selfish.

PG: (asks if he was worried when everyone was looking forward to the time when he passes Barry Bonds as the all-time homeruns leader; worried about all of this coming out)

AR: (after talking again about "that era" when everyone was doing it, and not really knowing what they were taking) Yeah, it worried me. Absolutely.

Me: I can't believe that he didn't know what he was putting into his system. And, I'm starting to believe him when he says he's not sure. Surely there was more than one substance he was experimenting with.

(PG is asking another question and I'm watching some of the strange facial expressions A-Rod is making, wondering how much fun it would be to watch the main character from that new show on FOX, Lie to Me, tell us if he's telling the truth or lying. I haven't seen that show, but I've seen a lot of ads for it)

PG: Are you bitter at all that the [Players] Union didn't get those tests destroyed?

AR: (shaking his head) No. God is doing this for a reason... I could care less about the union... I could care less about Salina Roberts [the SI reporter]... This had to come out. It was very important...

Me: Would this have been as big a 'scandal' if he would have come out with this himself? I doubt it. I believe that he is sincere when he says that he's glad it's public now. Not needing to worry about every day has got to be a relief.

PG: Over the years, have you ever talked to anyone about this?

AR: No.

PG: You haven't talked to Scott Boras?

AR: Not one word.

PG: Your teammates?

AR: Not one word.

Me: Really? Not one word to anyone? Ever? Wow.

PG: How much did you learn from Andy Pettite, coming forward and essentially admitting what he did last year?

AR: It was very commendable. I mean, I love Andy like a brother...

Me: ...and you wish you would have thought of that...

AR: ...the truth will set you free...

Me: Preach on, Brother A-Rod!

AR: ...It's my fault. I'm responsible for this...

Me: Personal responsibility is a good thing that isn't exactly en vogue these days. It's nice to hear that he takes responsibility for his actions.

AR: ...and I'm deeply sorry for that.

Me: Another apology. I wonder if anyone has kept a tally of the number of times he apologizes in this interview?

PG: Given the opportunity, would you like to go to Major League Baseball and say, 'Okay. What can I do?' to help kids across the country?

AR: One-hundred percent...

Me: Good answer.

AR: (talking about helping kids and serving in the community [hopefully not court-mandated community service]...I have nine years, and the rest of my career to devote myself to children and their future, and bring awareness to where we need to head as a game...

Me: Is it just me, or does it seem like A-Rod has been around forever. Hard to believe he's got a contract with the Yankees for nine more seasons. Even harder to imagine the kind of dough he'll be making: The deal he signed was $275 million over ten years. Um... That sounds like a lot of money. It sounds like even more when I say it's over a quarter of a billion dollars. Geez. Yeah, I'd say this guy has a great opportunity to do some good off the field.

AR: (in response to a question about what his 'message' will be; talking about good things like hard work, believing in yourself, what you have is enough, and then talking about the consistency over the course of his career)

Me: Whoa. It kind of sounds like he transitioned from his message to America's Youth to a message to the Sportwriters of America and potential Hall of Fame voters.

AR: Yeah, I've talked to our front office...They're supporting me...I think overall they want me to be truthful and be honest...

Me: Huh. So does my employer. How ironic.

AR: ...what happened six years ago happened...six, seven, eight years ago...

Me: Yeah. Let's keep in mind that this didn't happen recently. Given the pace of today's society, this is practically ancient history.

PG: (talking about what other people think quoting an unnamed Yankee official – and might I add too, a very courageous one, having withheld his or her name)...his legacy is now gone...

Me: I disagree entirely. After nine more years of incredible baseball, probably at least a pair of MVPs, those three years in Texas will be seen as a bump in the road to the Hall.

AR: ...I think New Yorkers like honesty...

Me: Dude. Everyone likes honesty. Which is why this would have been easier for you if you would have scooped this reporter and come out yourself a few years ago.

AR: ...winning is the ultimate medicine. If we can win a championship...

Me: That's about the only thing you've never been able to do. The Yankees could be on the verge of another championship run, but I don't know. There hasn't been a player as good for as long that hadn't won a championship since Micheal Jordan back in the day. I think it's just a matter of time before you get a ring or too. And you're right. When you're on the float in the championship parade, nobody is going to care about what you did in Texas. But if I'm building a team, I still pick Puhols over you.

AR: (talking about the 'forgiving' nature of New Yorkers)

Me: LOL. What the heck was that? Hey dude! What in the heck are you doing? You're in the shot, moron! ...oops.(23:21)



PG: Do you think that a player who has tested positive, or admitted to taking illegal substances is disqualified from Cooperstown?

AR: I hope not...

Me: That didn't sound very confident.

AR: (responding to a Jose Canseco-spun allegation)... It's kind of funny how SportsCenter and EPSN still quotes this guy...

Me: Amen! (this, of course, coming from a guy, me, who thought Canseco was the bomb when I was little; thanks for bringing that illusion crashing to the floor, Jose)

PG: The drugs you took from 2001 to 2003, what do you think it did to your performance?

AR: ...I'm not sure...

Me: Nobody is. You can't quantify the effects of steroids. I know one thing for sure: I if had juiced, I still would have only ever hit one homerun in my life.

AR: ...I've always enjoyed hitting it Texas...it's a great place to hit...

Me: That is a really good point. Texas has always been seen as having a hitter-friendly ballpark. It's possible that playing 81 games a season there could be a bigger factor in his slightly larger offensive numbers during that time. Yeah. So many factors involved here.

PG: (asking another question; camera still focused on A-Rod)

Me: I wonder if A-Rod is wondering if this interview will ever end. I know am.

PG: Do you start to get tired of celebrity? Of being a celebrity?

Me: Do you, Peter?

AR: It comes with the territory...

Me: Yeah, but I still feel bad for you because of it. I wouldn't like it. All I need is the adoration of family and friends.

PG: When they get a little bit older, what will you tell your daughters?

AR: I was stupid for three years. Very, very stupid.

Me: That's would be really hard. Admitting you screwed up to people you love always is. The bigger the mistake, the harder it is.

PG: What will you tell kids around the country?

Me: C'mon Peter. This interview is heck-a-long. You already asked this and he already gave you a good answer.

AR: Work hard. What you have is enough...

Me: See?

PG: (asks if this has been more difficult to deal with than what came out of Joe Torre's book)

Me: What came out of Joe Torre's book?

PG: Did you feel betrayed by Joe Torre?

AR: No. I haven't read the book, Peter...

Me: Me neither. Can we move on please? I'm starting to think that at this point Peter Gammons is taking advantage of an exclusive interview with Alex Rodriguez. We've just about covered every angle of this substance issue.

PG: Did you hear people can you A-Fraud?

Me: Sticks and stones... Although, you have to admit, that one is clever. A-Roid is another good one. I'm sure there will be plenty of creative sign-makers in the stands this year.

PG: Are you worried now about how often you'll have to answer questions about those three years?

Me: Do you mean, now that he's been in this interview for so long, or just now that this information is out there?

AR: Well, I'm answering them here today...I hope we can move forward.

Me: Do you mean, move forward in this interview, or just in general?

AR: ...I can't wait for Spring Training...

Me: Neither can I. It will be interesting to see fans reaction and your on-the-field response this season.

...

(My eyes are beginning to glaze...)

...

PG: For the good of the game, would you like to see all of those 104 names released from the positive tests in 2003?

AR: I don't have any interest in any of that...

Me: Peter. You're interviewing Alex Rodriguez, not the forenamed Jose Canseco. He's not interested in naming names and subjecting others to the negative reaction he's received. Alex. Good answer.

PG: How do you think this got leaked out?

AR: Peter, it's not really that important. I don't know. I don't know.

Me: Yeah. Not that important. This interview's is almost over. Hallelujah...

PG: Are you concerned that over the next couple months this will hurt baseball?

AR: Maybe over the next couple of months it will hurt baseball, but in the long run I think it will help...Anytime you put the truth out there...it's very painful at the beginning, but at the end of the tunnel there will be light...

Me: Well said. But, I don't think this 'news' will hurt baseball. People are used to this by now. This happened six, seven, eight years ago, and everyone knows that it was an epidemic back then. It might be different if he was caught for doping last season.

PG: ...What do you regret most?

Me: That's a dumb question. Don't answer that unless you say, "Agreeing to an endless interview with you."

PG: What do you think the headline will be tomorrow in New York?

AR: I have no idea...

Me: Wrong. "I have no idea?" That headline writer deserves an automatic pink-slip.

AR: (closes out the interview with this) ...the truth will set you free.

Me: I wonder who said that first?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.