Thursday, October 30, 2008

That's All Pholks!

Is there a news organization in the country who didn't use "Phinally!" as their headline this morning? Give me a break. I'm glad we don't have to endure any more clever Philly-inspired phonetically modified attention grabbers for a while.

So, I was wrong again. Turned out that the Philadelphia pitching staff looked like the superior group, and the Rays offense suffered because of it. When their 3-4 hitters are 0-for-the-World-Series until Game 5, you knew they were in trouble.

Now, for those of you who do actually check this blog, here's my plan for the off-season: Since interest in baseball won't really pick up until April, I'll only be posting once a week. I have a few ideas of some stuff I'd like to look into, like those odd statistics that were never on the back of any baseball card I ever owned, and maybe a few thoughts on off-season trades and stuff. I don't know. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. The Phillies were the first to reach 10,000 losses last year. I'm not sure if that has been matched yet: http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/25383

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has not been matched yet. Of course, since the team was established in 1883, they've had plenty of time to collect all 10,098 of their losses.

    If I'm reading the data correctly, the Braves are the next closest organization with 9,807 losses since 1876.

    Of course, if you look at the winning percentages, there are teams that have done worse than the Phillies (.470), and you might be surprised that our Kansas City Royals (.485) are not one of them.

    Stats from Baseball-Reference.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.