Thursday, October 23, 2008

'08 World Series: Game 1

The Phillies held off the Rays in last night's opening game of the 2008 World Series. Some of the reaction that I've seen this morning was slanting towards the idea that the Phillies now have the upper-hand in the best of seven series. I still don't think that's the case.

Last night was a bigger game for the Phills that the Rays. The Rays dropped game one to Boston too, remember. But the reason last night was such a big deal for the Phillies was because of Cole Hamels. They can't afford to waste his efforts in a losing cause. He may be the best pitcher on either team (still waiting to see if Tampa Bay's Matt Garza can continue what he started in the ALCS). Game one was all about pitching dominance. And that's where the trouble lies for Philly. The Rays will continue to march out top-tier talent to the mound, while the Phillies won't. After Hamels, there's a considerable drop off. But I'll say this about Philly: their bullpen is outstanding. They really do have the ability to turn these games into seven inning contests.

So here's my prediction: Rays in 6. I doubt that Philly pitchers not named Cole Hamels will be able to keep the powerful Rays offense at bay. Then again, I'm usually wrong about these things, so if I were a betting man (and I'm not, thank goodness), I'd bet against my predictions every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.