Thursday, August 7, 2008

Keeping the Mexicutioner Closing

I know there's this push by many Royals fans to move Joakim Soria, the Mexicutioner, to the starting rotation next season. I follow the logic. I understand that 600 outs is worth more than 180 outs in a season (the difference between 200 innings pitched as a starter and 60 as a closer). I understand that other guys at the back of the bullpen have been really good this year too, and that either Ramon Ramirez or Ron Mahay could be competent closers. I get all of that. And the argument isn't a bad one. To be honest, from the time Soria threw the perfect game down in Mexico about a week after the Royals acquired him, I was looking forward to having him throw another one here in Kansas City.

But, here's my hang up: If it ain't broke, don't fix it (at least, not in the middle of the season).

Case in point: Joba Chamberlain was tearing up the league as the set up man for arguably the best closer of time and all eternity, Mariano Rivera (I overheard my cousin's eldest predicting that Joba's number will eventually be retired and on display at Monument Park at Yankee Stadium). Mid-season, the Yankees decided to move Joba to the starting rotation. So, as is the accepted process, his outings gradually lengthened until his stamina and pitch-counts were up to starting levels. And, by all accounts, the kid continued to show that he could mow-down opponents, posting numbers like 3 wins, 1 loss, and a 2.76 ERA since becoming a starter.

But as impressive as the numbers are, they're less impressive if Joba can't lift his golden right arm over his head because of rotator cuff tendinitis. The Yankees had to place him on the DL recently because of this new development. And, though this seems to follow a pattern (not one that I've researched, just something that I think I've noticed) of Yankees pitchers being placed on the disabled list mid-summer and returning fresh, just in time for the playoffs, you've got to believe that they would rather have a healthy Joba starting every fifth day as they try to catch both the Red Sox and the Rays.

I've pitched enough to know the cause of rotator cuff injuries, and it almost always comes down to being overworked. Had Joba stayed in the bullpen for the remainder of this season, I seriously doubt he would have had this set-back. And, what really sucks about rotator cuff injuries is that only time (and a lot of ibuprofen) can heal them.

I was having a hard time thinking of guys that had transitioned from closer to starter. Loads of players have gone the opposite direction. One name that came to me was Rick Dempster, of the Chicago Cubs. He had been the closer for the past few seasons, saving 87 games. But, since starting didn't work out so well for Kerry Wood, he went to the bullpen, allowing Dempster to move back to the rotation. The difference between Dempster and Joba is time. Dempster had four months in the off-season and Spring Training to re-condition himself for starting pitching, while Joba's transition occurred mid-season, and with considerable pressure from fans and media.

So, here's my point: If Soria is to become a starter, it had better happen during this off-season. I'll admit, a starting rotation of Zach Greinke, Gil Meche, and the Mexicutioner (and, of course, an off-season signing of free-agent C.C. Sabathia, as long as I'm dreaming) makes me salivate like I'm sitting in front of a piping-hot deep dish pizza from Edwardo's. But, for that to happen, the Royals need to find a suitable replacement at closer (preferably one with another awesome nickname).

However, have you been to a close game at Kauffman Stadium recently (probably not)? It is exhilarating to hear "Welcome to the Jungle" blaring and to see Soria trotting in from the bullpen to get the final three outs. You know the game is over.

Like I said, I get the whole starter vs. closer debate thing. But, let's face it... right now I'm pitching as much and as well as "The Great Joba" (and for a lot less money...). Besides, it's just so sweeeeeet having a lock-down closer. I just don't want to go back to hoping our guy can hold the lead and get the save. So for now, let's just be grateful that the Mexicutioner is healthy and still, well, mexicuting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.