Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Dreams

Okay... I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for the Olympics. Winter, Summer, it doesn't really matter. I'm a sucker for most anything I can wave the Star Spangled Banner for. We missed the opening ceremonies last Friday, but we've watched nearly every minute of coverage since, including some online-only stuff like Badminton and Baseball.

This morning I've had USA vs. Korea baseball game on my iMac streaming live from Beijing. From the looks of things, the Koreans are going to win (though one of our guys just mashed a huge homerun to bring us to within one, and the next batter singled). NBCOlympics.com allows you to watch virtually anything live at the Olympics. And, since the general public would rather watch swimming and gymnastics in prime time, this is only way I'll be able to see any Team USA baseball.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but while most kids grew up dreaming of playing in the Major Leagues. Not me. I wanted to be an Olympian. I dreamed of representing my country out there on the mound.

*Update: now there's guys on second and third, no outs, still down one run, top of the ninth.

You see, I knew fairly early in my "career" that I probably didn't have the arm to pitch in the Big Leagues. But, I was pretty sure I could get the job done in college. And I thought that Team USA was comprised of collegiate athletes.

Unfortunately for me, the team is actually a collection of Minor Leaguers, with only a few of the best college players in the country. Oh well.

*Another Update: Matt Brown, member of the Salt Lake Bees, just fought off three or four pitches with an 0-2 count before belting a single to left center to give Team USA the lead 7-6, after the two players ahead of him failed to knock in the tying run.

Anyway, my guess is that you are easily classified as a geek when you sit in front of your computer this early in the morning to watch an Olympic baseball game being streamed live from China. What can I stay? Some dreams die hard.

*And, in the bottom of the ninth inning, after some really stupid plays, Korea comes from behind to win the game 8-7.

1 comment:

  1. I've watched weightlifting, handball, fencing, and shooting on the internet. Count me in as a nerd.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.