Friday, May 23, 2008

The Comeback

The following was recorded in my journal ten years ago today, and is a great example of how great this game can be.

AP tests are over and done. School is coming to a close. But that isn't why I'm floating on air. I'm on cloud-nine because of the wonderful game of baseball.

We began the state tournament one week after the loss to Hunter [High School]. We opened with Mountain View in a 16-team, double-elimination tourney and we dropped it. We gave up eight runs in the sixth and blew a 7-2 lead. Next thing we knew we were in the losers' bracket. We had a long road ahead of us – we now needed to win eight straight games.*

*I remember how devastated we were after losing the opening game of the state tournament, which was our second loss in three games. We knew we were better than how we had been playing, but we couldn't figure out what had gone wrong. That night, after the loss to Mountain View, we could never have dreamed what would follow.

The next day we got our revenge on Hunter, 13-3. The following week, starting Monday, the games were played at Ken Price Park [in Murray, UT]. We beat West Jordan Monday 9-1. Tuesday we met up with Bingham and their lefty ace Sorenson – who had held us at bay for 14 straight innings during the regular season. I couldn't be at this game because of an AP test, and the stress of not knowing the outcome must have taken six years off my life. I had, however, no need to fear; my boys won 9-7.

Wednesday we had a double-header. We started off with a game versus Skyline and took care of them 11-1. Brighton was next in the bracket and also my next scheduled start. I pitched great, allowing only one run on five hits. We won 8-3.

So far our offensive production had been spectacular. Amazingly enough, despite all these runs and the short fences at Ken Price, we had only hit two homeruns in four games.

After the Brighton win, we were guaranteed third place, but that wouldn't be good enough for us. Following a bye on Thursday, Friday brought a venue change to Franklin Quest and a game versus the loser of Alta-Hillcrest (which was played immediately prior to our game that night). We got Alta. We also got to face Alta's ace – Seth Johnson. He had pitched two days prior and due to lack of rest, he was flat. We killed him and Alta, 11-0.

Saturday was incredible. In order to win the state title, we would need to beat a very good Hillcrest team twice that day.

Franco [Pezely] started the initial game. He shut down their high powered offense. Franco deserves the 5-A state MVP, hand down (and he got it). Our bats were also on fire as we won 12-4. Twenty minutes later we took part in the do-or-die championship.

Jake Jordison was on the mound for Hillcrest. Dan Polhamus started for us. We won the flip and elected to be the home team. Hillcrest scored first, fast, and furiously. Dan allowed five runs in five outs before I had to come in and get the final out of the second inning.

Allow me to digress for a moment and tell you just how nervous I was. I was extremely nervous going into Saturday. At the meeting earlier that morning, I asked the Seminary Council to pray with me. It helped calm me down greatly. When I got my chance in the game, I did not forget to thank my Heavenly Father for the talents and opportunities I have been given. And with his help I was able to perform well.

I pitched the third and fourth innings as well. Coach pulled me in the fifth and put sophomore Mike Lewis in to pitch. He did great and so did Mike Beener, who followed him.

Unfortunately, as we pitched by committee, Jake Jordison was shutting us down by himself. We got three runs in the third, but that was all until the seventh inning. Beener was still pitching for us in the seventh inning, but allowed a few baserunners. Bryan Ball came from right field in relief. Bryan had been having trouble all week and letting him throw was a gamble. It paid off. He was stunning. He came in and shut the door.

At the beginning of the bottom of the seventh inning, we were no closer to solving the problem presented by Jordison's split-finger fastball. But there was something in the air. I felt it. The team felt it. The fans felt it – and Jordison would feel the brunt of it.

Nick Ballard led off with a great at-bat and great hustle to force an error on the shortshop, Adam Castleton. Bryan Ball battledadn dropped a ball in center for a hit. Jeremy Huntington fought hard and hit a ground out, moving the runners to second and third. Pezely dropped another ball into right-center, and Johnny Buck strode to the plate with the tying runs on base.

The first pitch to John was a curve ball – swing and miss. John stayed back on the next pitch just long enough to hit it off the left-field wall for a double, scoring both Ball and Pezely. Tie ball game.

Justin DeKorver had hit well all week and his next at bat was no exception. He hit a ball through the left side of the infield. Johnny was on third and Justin on first. Sophomore Danny Wright was up to bat. With one out, they walked him intentionally and pulled Jordison from the game. Replacing him on the mound was Sean Green.

Jason Rupp (our back-up catcher) was pinch hitting for Beener with the bases loaded and one out. Both the infield and the outfield were in to prevent a run. But it did no good. Rupp drove a 1-0 delivery deep to left field for the game winner. After four runs in the bottom of the seventh and final inning, we piled on John at home plate as the 1998 Utah High School Athletics Association State Champs.

It was an incredible end to an incredible ride. I can't express the feeling of joy I had. We won.



Class of 1998, 5-A Utah State Champions
Top: Bryan Ball, John Buck, Jason Rupp, Jeremy Huntington
Bottom: Derk McDermaid, Nick Ballard, Franco Pezely, Jared Maxfield, Me

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the entry. I seriously got goosebumps as I read your account of that run to the state championship. The lows of losing the first round game and the high seeing jason getting that hit and Johnny crossing the plate is something that I will always remember. That is one of my fondest memories from high school and I wasn't even on the field. I have been a huge baseball fan ever since. It was the perfect way to finish high school.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.