Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Something Special This Way Comes:
2007 World Series

Finally...

The Colorado Rockies are the hottest team in baseball, perhaps in baseball history, having won 21 of its last 22 games coming into the 2007 World Series, and you and I, and any other shlubs too poor for basic cable TV will finally get to see them. The last team to beat the Rockies was the Arizona Diamondbacks, the same team that the Rockies rolled over in four games, sweeping the National League Championship Series eight days ago. The last National League team to be 7-0 in the post-season was Cincinnati's Big Red Machine in their romp to a World Championship in 1976.But, despite all of this, the fabled Boston Red Sox and their ace, Josh Beckett, stand in their way. Most of you know, and I'll admit to those who don't, but back in first half of this decade, I was high on the Red Sox. Luckily, I've since broken that addiction. I was crushed in 2003 when Aaron Boone launched a Tim Wakefield knuckleball into the left field stands, prolonging the curse of the Bambino. We must know the bitter to taste the sweet, and it didn't get any sweeter than the 2004 ALCS when the Sox rallied against their arch rivals to become the only team to come back from a 3-0 deficit in a seven-game series and win. Their sweep of the Cardinals in the World Series gave Red Sox Nation it's first World Championship since a few front-office folks thought it was a good idea to sell George Herman Ruth (the Babe) to the Yankees to raise funds for the production of the Broadway musical No, No, Nanette. But soon after the rise of the Red Sox, I began to see them as no different than their Bronx rivals. The bullied had become the bully. The larger the payroll, the less likely that I will be a fan. And so, I was through with the Red Sox. I still have the hats in my closet, but I can't remember the last time one got out in public.

So, here's my prediction: Rockies in 5***.

The Rockies should be able to split the first two games in Fenway before heading home to Coors Field, where, I predict, the Red Sox will struggle for a few reasons. First of all, in the World Series the teams play by the home team's rules. Therefore, while in Denver, the Red Sox won't be able to use the DH, which will leave a large hole in its potent lineup. David "Don't-Ask-Big-Papi-For-An-Autograph" Ortiz will have to play first base and trying to work Kevin Youkilis, who has come through big-time for Boston this post-season, could lead to some problems on defense. And, speaking of defense, Manny "So-What-If-It's-Just-A-Single-I'm-Not-Going-To-Run-Hard" Ramirez will have a heck of a time in left field in Colorado. But, because I'm a good sport, I made this for him to help navigate the enormous ground he'll need to cover in Coors Field.






That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it (unless the Sox win the first two, in which case, I may have to change it to 6 games). If you have a prediction, or any thoughts on this year's fall classic, leave a comment.

***Disclaimer: Todd Reynolds has a history of rooting for the losing team in all sporting events due to a rare medical condition causing him to cheer for the underdog in every situation unless it involves the Kansas City Royals or The BYU Cougars. This World Series prediction is in no way statistically founded enough to use as the basis of any type of wager, sanctioned or otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: Well, it's 4-1 for the Red Sox with 2 out in the bottom of the 2nd. Looks like it might be a "rocky" road for Colorado tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.