Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy 50th Anniversary, Harvey

May 26, 1959. Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched 12 perfect innings, and then lost the game 1-0 in the bottom of the 13th with an error, an intentional walk to Hank Aaron, and a double. The winning pitcher, Lew Burdette of the Milwaukee Braves, said after the game, "I called Harvey that night in the visiting clubhouse. I told him 'I realize I got what I wanted, a win, but I'd really give it up because you pitched the greatest game that's ever been pitched in the history of baseball. It was a damned shame you had to lose.' "

Haddix retired 36 straight batters before things fell apart in the 13th. I think Burdette had it right: "...the greatest game that's ever been pitched in the history of baseball."

Song about Haddix from MLB.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.