Monday, March 23, 2009

Random Thoughts Today

World Baseball Classic
My "coverage" of the World Baseball Classic didn't go so well. I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't able to dedicate more time to it. I missed the miracle of the Netherlands squeaking past the might Dominicans. And I missed it when they did it the second time to eliminate David Ortiz and company. I saw the highlights from the ninth inning of the elimination game between the United States and Puerto Rico lying on a bed in a room at La Quinta in Amarillo. This morning, I watched most of the replay of US vs. Japan, but stopped when I accidentally saw the final score while checking other baseball news. With the championship game to be played tonight between Korea and the defending WBC champions, Japan, I have a few thoughts on the Classic.

I'm truly sick of hearing sports radio hosts and sports writers tear down this event. That said, they make a few good points. First, the timing of the Classic is poor, at best. Perhaps Major League Baseball, if they truly are behind this event, should mandate a three week break in the regular season every four year to allow the best players in the game to join their countrymen and represent their Tierra Madre. There shouldn't be any doubt that more baseball fans would watch the Classic if it was the only show in town. Part of the trouble now is that fans are more concerned about what their team is doing in Spring Training, or how their college basketball bracket is shaping up in their office pool.

Second, and this may be related to the first point, the United States can't win this tournament unless they can consistently get its best players, particularly pitchers, to commit to play on a more regular basis.

Third, understandably, teams and fans worry about their superstar players getting hurt in what, at this point, amounts to little more than an international exhibition in their minds. These players make a lot of money. Teams have made enormous financial investments in the players on United States' roster, and can't afford for them to miss the first few months of the season. As a solution to the anxiety this causes, I wonder how good a team of the best college baseball players in the nation could be?

Just some thoughts.

Curt Schilling Retires
Curtis Montague Schilling announced today that he is calling it quits. The 42-year-old pitcher was a fierce competitor who, over the course of his 20 year career, won three World Series rings, including 2001 as the co-MVP, and the fabled bloody sock championship for the 2004 Red Sox. But, he missed the entire 2008 season because of shoulder trouble. Now he says it's time to hang up the cleats, "with no regrets."

I'm sure the debates will take place soon (or maybe in five years), but is Schilling Hall of Fame worthy? I'll leave that topic to the guys at ESPN and the like, but let me say this: Some of the most dominating, memorable playoff performances I have witnessed were when Schilling took the mound. But, you know, I don't have a vote on the Hall of Fame ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.