Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What's in a Glove?


Today is my 28th birthday, and my darling wife gave me the perfect gift: a new baseball mitt. Growing up, I didn't have hand-me-down gloves, because after all, I was the oldest child. But, let's just say that I didn't have the nicest mitt on the team either. It's due to a combination of various reasons, one of which is that I was not very good until I was about 14 years old. When I was 14, I actually upgraded my glove by switching to my mom's tan-colored Rawlings from what I officially call the black beast -- a 13" Easton with a closed back, and my name and phone number written on one of the fingers in silver permanent marker.

I used that Rawlings for a few more years before getting a nice glove for Christmas. It was dark brown, almost mahogany colored Easton with an open back. That was the glove I used through high school and for my first year in junior college. But by my second year it was time for another new glove. A teammate of mine was working at Big 5 Sporting Goods at the time, and he used his employee discount to get me a new 11.25", black TPX, also with an open back. I loved that mitt. No glove oil, shaving cream, or any other substance touched that one. I didn't wrap a ball inside it and stick it under my parents' mattress to break her in either. That glove was formed strictly by playing catch. Unfortunately, about two years after I got it, it was stolen out of my luggage on my way back from a summer job in Puerto Rico. Hopefully there's an up-and-coming shortshop down there that has enjoyed my mitt ever since.

A baseball glove is a very personal piece of equipment. You will understand what I mean if you have ever had to leave your mitt with some goon on the opposing team who forgot his at a church softball game. You don't want someone else sweating in your glove. It's your glove, after all. It's like a natural extension of your hand. I recently read that the center fielder for the Minnesota Twins, Torii Hunter, keeps his game mitt under lock and key in the club house. Professionals have plenty of gloves that they usually received as gifts from manufacturers, but there's one special one that is reserved for game time.

So, if you're ever in the market for a new glove, here is some information about how to choose a glove you'll love.

First of all, there are many, many, many gloves out there. Whether you are looking to buy a glove for a child or for yourself, you can find a mitt in your price range. Low-end gloves can be purchased for $15 to $30, and high-end, I-want-the-exact-same-mitt-as-my-baseball-idol gloves are usually $300. And there are all sorts of gloves in between.

There are also many manufacturers of baseball gloves. Rawlings, Easton, Mizuno, TPX, Nike, Nokona, Akadema, Wilson, SSK, and Worth; just to name a few. As far as what brand you buy, it's really just a matter of preference and style. Pick a glove you like, but don't go overboard with funny gimicks. I remember the old Wilsons that you could turn a dial to tighten or loosen your glove, almost akin to Reebok Pumps. I'll list a few links to these companies' websites. The Rawlings site is especially cool.

You'll also need to decide on the size of glove you'd like. Glove sizes are measured according to their length. Usually the smallest adult glove you will find is 11 inches. 11, 11.25, and 11.5" gloves are usually reserved for middle-infielders, and sometimes pitchers. Shortstops and Second basemen like the small gloves because it's easier to make the quick transfer from glove to throwing hand on double plays and such. Third basemen usually prefer a slightly larger glove so they can knock down hot shots hit their way. Outfielders wear longer gloves, sometimes over 13" long. That way, it can increase their reach just enough to snag a would-be double in the gap. Personally, I prefer smaller gloves. Maybe it's because I grew up playing with giant adult softball gloves in little league... who knows? But I feel I have better control with less leather at the end of my finger tips. However, if you will be buying a glove strictly for softball, a bigger glove might be better because there will be more room for the larger ball in the pocket of your mitt.

Once you have your glove, there are all sorts of ways of breaking it in and getting it game ready. But perhaps we'll discuss those in a future post. For now, just keep this in mind. Chonne Figgins of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim played all through little league with a Burger King give-away mitt because his family couldn't afford a real glove. So, although having a nice glove isn't necessary, if you have your choice, it sure is nice to own a glove you can be proud of, even if you don't really play anymore.

Rawlings
Wilson
TPX/Louisville Slugger
Easton
Nokona
Shoeless Joe's

4 comments:

  1. Man, this post totally brought back the memories of my first glove. It was this tiny wilson childs glove which must have been ment for 6-10 year olds. Unfortunally I was using it in church ball well into my teens (which should also tell you how frequently I played ball). Think of the plastic kids glove that "Smalls" has in the movie "The Sandlot" and you get a good idea of what my glove was like. Talk about PATHETIC! But lets face it, it was probably sufficient considering my "fielding abilities" (or lack thereof)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was some Kirk Gibson special. No idea about any of the other details. I played outfield in little league which meant I spent a lot of time staring into my glove at that Kirk Gibson signature wondering if it was real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I must admit, I spent plenty of time staring at signatures in my gloves wondering if they were real too. I think I had a Cal Ripken, Jr. and a Vince Coleman (who, if I remember correctly, was by far the fastest player in the original NES RBI Baseball).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and check back later for a reply.